Time and again I come across websites that were built backwards. "How is that possible" you say? Let me explain.
The typical backward web site contains elements such as :
- Company ABC designs a site with keywords they "think" are ideal. (if they design it with keywords in mind at all, is another question).
- They put their company name as the TITLE TAG. ie:
< title >Company ABC< /title> and nothing else.
- They use improper anchor text: Anchor text is the word used to hyperlink to another page. For example: pass your cursor over this hyperlink - search engine optimization - and at the very bottom of the page in the status bar, you will note the complete address as it should be to earn higher Google rankings.
- They keep the same meta tag information for every page etc. etc.
- They design a completely flash-driven site.
These are just a few of the backward approaches that a well-meaning but inexperienced web site designer may use to construct your website. WHY is it backwards? Because the very first thing you should consider before designing a site is, how people will find it!
If you plan on forever paying big money for online advertising to get traffic, then a backward site is fine. But if you want a steady stream of free traffic and the status of being on the first page of Google, Yahoo and other relevant search engines, you must design your site to be found by the search engines as well as people.
This requires an area of expertise that most web designers do not have. This is evidenced, for example, by the many thousands of websites that are built using flash (and take forever to load - ugh!), and only currently, better indexed by the search engines.
What this all means, is that you must follow some very rudimentary steps before initiating the design of your site.
You must determine:
-Using the correct domain name
-Using the exact keywords people use to find your product or service
-Writing sufficient ORIGINAL content
-Setting up the proper internal linking structure
To get a better handle on how site optimization can help you, check out this information on search engine optimization .